Monday, November 15, 2010

Multi-Use



This is a piece that I worked on for my class on electronic news gathering. Initially I did not think it might relate to multi-ethnic reporting. However, as my classmates provided feedback during a class playback I realized that many of the tools used to gather this story are part of this course's belt.

The issue is a delicate one. In order to get the footage of the people smoking marijuana I first had to earn their trust. I called way in advance I clearly stated my intentions, "I just want to pick your brain about Florida laws on marijuana" was the line I used for almost everyone.

Before I forget I asked someone I knew and that trusted me to introduce me to this group of people since I had never seen them before.

The resistance was strong. "Don't film, just record sound" said Paola and her friends as I asked to go with them to talk during one of the 'smoking sessions'. So I resorted to my class training. I talked it out with them for a long 45 min. Kept the camera in the car and explained that I didn't planned to judge them, that my questions were based on pure curiosity and somewhat ignorance about why anyone would smoke pot.

I explained that I know that this issue is complex and that I wasn't about to understand it in one day but that I wanted their help in getting a clearer picture. I made sure my body language seemed sure but not fake.

When I worked on the story I tried to show all sides of the story and not just make it seem like there was a clear opinion on my part about whether or not weed should be legalized or not. I just reported on what was there and didn't tap into my stereotypes about potheads.

(Disclosure: I had a close family member that smoked pot and it messed up his life for a while. So I don't take this issue lightly)

By the end they didn't mind that I film just as long as I blurred their faces. They talked openly and even let me go with them to buy the pot. One of the girls even said she would gladly give me a sound-byte without the blurred face.


No comments:

Post a Comment