Sunday, October 3, 2010

Your Data Suggest a Slight Automatic Preference for European American.


I've come to respect these type of socio-analitic test; however, these result are disheartening.

The test answered my, "am I racist?" question in a very polite form. Slightly. I found that amusing. I've never considered myself racist, but then again neither do most people. 

If I were to redefine the terminology of the result given to me I would say "you feel slightly uncomfortable by a culture very unlike yours." Here is why.

In my native country (Venezuela)  and in my personal experience I've found that the color is not what people have prejudice about. In Venezuela, if you are calling a person over and you don't know their name but are in good enough terms you call them by whatever makes that person stand out to you. For example: if a men is very white and blonde, they are called "catires" (blondee) ; if they have light eyes "tigre"(tiger); if its an old person "viejo" (old) and if they are black(negro).  In other words the "racist" thinking was never labelled as such during my upbringing. Only when I arrived to the U.S. did I notice that does words I heard people call each other where labelled racism and were "politically incorrect."

However, this long explanation is not to excuse my results but to explain what the results mean to me. 

So the Venezuelan negro is not the same as the American negro. When I saw the test label before I took it my  frame of mind changed from black and white preference to European and African (there is a difference). The geographical reference made me think of slavery but when I was going through the test I could not refer back to that thought since the answers had to be quick and almost subconscious. 

The key to my answers are in my subconscious, which is built on many hours of TV and short handed encounters with the African American culture. But if the test titled would have been in spanish and said "Preferencia entre blancos y negros" (preference between white or blacks) I dare say the result would have been different. My frame of mind would have switched over to the definitions of those two words in Venezuela and the subconscious reaction would have been different.

The issue was to analyze the test and what it does to you. In my case there are a complex combinations of variables that I think might have affected the results. 

At a less personal view we find that I'm not minority in the results gathered but rather in the moderate group. I make a conscious effort to be informed and as open minded as possible since, after all, I live in south Florida. I think that exposure to different cultures is what kept me from being placed in the "strong automatic preference for white people" category. 










No comments:

Post a Comment